Tuesday, January 24, 2012

EU Book Recommendations

We both love reading Star Wars books, whether they be novelizations of the movies or books outside of the six films. There are so many wonderful Expanded Universe for you to check out. While Fallon is a huge Expanded Universe reader, Savanna has only read a few books. In this post, we are each going to list EU books that we recommend to Star Wars fans!

Savanna's Picks
Like we mentioned above, I haven't read very many Star Wars books. So far I've read the novelization of Star Wars (A New Hope), The Truce at Bakura, Heir to the Empire, and I'm currently in the middle of Darth Plagueis

Heir to the Empire- After hearing great reviews from Fallon and my other friends, I decided to dive into this book. This book was packed with a great storyline, interesting characters, and plenty of twists. I'm not going to spoil Mara Jade's story for you (I'm sure you've heard about it) but let's just say that she is one kick-butt chick! This book was a fantastic read but, I'd only recommend it to original trilogy and Luke Skywalker lovers. As a Luke hater, I had to force myself (<-- no pun intended) to read the parts with him. However, I loved everything with Grand Admiral Thrawn and his group along with an old Jedi. If you are new to the EU but know the general chronological order of everything, this would be a great book to start with!

The Truce at Bakura- This book picks up immediately after Return of the Jedi with Luke Skywalker. After a bit of plot developing, our favorite characters like Han and Leia get involved too. To be quite honest, this book was decent. I enjoyed the fact that the chronological order was easy to understand but the overall storyline was a bit boring. Nothing major happened to any of the main characters from the original trilogy. It was also a short read, you could easily finish it in a few days. I'd recommend this book to anyone new to EU after ROTJ.

Darth Plagueis- I'm reading this book right now actually! I can't say too much about it because I'm only a third of the way through the book but, it's fantastic so far! The tale of "Darth Plagueis the wise" in Revenge of the Sith was very intriguing and it's really cool to learn more about this deep character. My friend Chris described the book well...he said that Darth Plagueis isn't super suspenseful but, it isn't boring when you read it. Based on what I've read so far, I'd recommend this to any fan of the prequels because it really brings more perspective to the events of the PT. 

Fallon's Picks
I've read many Star Wars Expanded Universe books. Right now, I'm currently tackling Darth Plagueis, the Rogue Squadron series, and Choices of One.  I am reviewing three of my favorite books so far....Visions of the Future, Allegiance, and X-Wing: Rogue Squadron.



Visions of the Future:  This book is easily my absolute favorite in the Expanded Universe. It is actually the second in a duology of stories, the first titled Specter of the Past. Both books were written by my favorite author, Timothy Zahn. Visions of the Future takes place in three parts...with the Smugglers, Han and Leia, and Luke and Mara.  My favorite parts (naturally) to read were the ones about Luke and Mara....but it also had some fun Han and Leia parts, and I was very intrigued by Shada Du'kal's character. She is really awesome.  
Now I shall explain my thoughts in the least-spoilery way possible.  
I sobbed with joy. Literally. I closed the book and thought, OH MY GOSH....BEST BOOK EVER! I have reread it four times now. I still would consider it my favorite book. Luke and Mara's romance really starts to ignite and pick up in this book (which is probably why I love it so much). You get to learn a whole lot about Mara's character, and the reason she is my favorite Star Wars character is because of her actions, quotes, and overall character development in Visions of the Future. She is incredible. You should probably read Specter of the Past first, but I would very, very highly recommend this book!!!



Allegiance:  This book is another one of my favorites. I will probably always like this book because it is one that my epic mom and I read together! We both discussed the story and the characters...and enjoyed it a lot! This book actually intruiged me because it dealt a lot with the Empire, and Imperial!Mara instead of Jedi!Mara or Smuggler!Mara like I'm used to. (the little exclamation mark is just a writer/fanfic thing...for those of you who don't know. It's not significant,just for fun to describe the version of the character!) Another thing I really liked about this book was that it had the Hand of Judgement....five rogue Stormtroopers who actually have hearts. I have to say....I LOVE Daric LaRone...the leader of  the Hand of Judgement. LaRone, Brightwater, Grave, Macross, and Quiller made up the group of free-thinking rogue Stormtroopers, and I really, really  liked them. I would reread the book just for them! Luke, Han and Leia are also in the book, and it's really fun to see the adventures they go on. This book is also by Timothy Zahn.



X-Wing Rogue Squadron:  I actually read this one over an audiobook....but I still did read it. It's wonderful. I actually really like the Star Wars audio books, because they are very well done. My mom and I have listened to a few of them, I've done Survivor's Quest (another fantastic book), Rogue Squadron, and my mom has done Abyss (Fate of the Jedi book). I like the sound effects the readers create, you hear the ships taking off, you feel like you're IN the X-Wing...and you can hear the holocomm, or the R2 unit.  It's really thrilling and some parts have music from one of the six Star Wars soundtracks, which makes it feel like you are IN THE MOVIES. Super fun.
X-Wing Rogue Squadron was a great book.  I highly recommend this one. It focuses on Corran Horn, Wedge Antilles, and Tycho Celchu a lot, as well as Mirax Terrik (my second favorite Star Wars character after Mara Jade...) and the other members of Rogue Squadron (also the Imperial Remnant, like Ysanne Isard....*shudders*. That lady is creepy.) Corran has grown to be one of my favorites as well after reading this book (and I, Jedi!!). The book follows the Rogues on their mission(s) and training, and I really enjoyed it! I got all of the X-Wing books for Christmas, (as well as the comics) so I will be reading more of them very soon. This book (series) is definitely a must read! 


We hope you enjoyed reading a bit of our thoughts on some of our favorite books!  Let us know what your favorites are, and if you have any recommendations for us to read. We love your feedback. Happy reading!



4 comments:

  1. oh no, no fate of the jedi listed. love those books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read Tatooine Ghost, if you haven't. It's very good! Savanna, there is only a tiny bit of Luke--it's mostly Han and Leai! :D

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't rlly moved on to the new jedi order or legacy era yet, but I've finished every book in the prequels :) I have darth plegius and I'm gonna read it soon! Thanks for the list!! I think you should add ROTS novelization in there though... :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the EU!!!!! :D I haven't read any of the books you've listed yet(since I haven't reached that point in the timeline just yet, though I have read some from the later eras) but from what you've said, they sound really good! :)

    My favorite EU books are-
    The Jedi Apprentice series
    Secrets of the Jedi
    Revenge of the Sith novelization
    Jedi Quest series
    Young Jedi Knights series
    Shatterpoint
    Wild Space
    The Last of the Jedi series
    Legacy of the Jedi
    Junior Jedi Knights series
    Yoda: Dark Rendezvous
    Darth Bane trilogy
    The Phantom Menace adult novelization
    Rogue Planet
    Crosscurrent
    Attack of the Clones adult novelization
    Prequel Trilogy junior novelizations
    Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter
    Clone Wars Gambit: Stealth
    Labyrinth of Evil
    Fatal Alliance
    The Cestus Deception
    Deceived
    Outbound Flight
    Episode I Journal: Queen Amidala
    Cloak of Deception
    Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader
    The few NJO books I've read
    The Approaching Storm
    There are some I haven't read, these are just my favorites. :) I would recommend them all

    ReplyDelete

Spammers? Move along...move along... Everyone else? Be kind, and May the Force be with You!